Flood Insurance

Only Flood Insurance Covers a Flood

The Village recommends the purchase of flood insurance as a means of protecting property owners and renters from the risk of flood losses. While the risk of flooding is greater in the regulatory floodplain (Special Flood Hazard Area), severe rain and local flooding can threaten all structures. In fact, 25% of flood insurance claims paid are for damages to properties outside the regulatory floodplain. 

Only a few inches of water can cause major damage to your home and contents. FEMA's Flood Damage Calculator under Quick Links shows you what a flood could cost. To find your risk of flooding, learn what a flood insurance policy may cost and find a local insurance agent, visit Floodsmart.gov.

Insure Your Contents Against a Flood

Ask your agent about adding contents coverage. RENTERS and CONDO OWNERS, you can get contents only coverage too.  Go to Floodsmart.gov/What's Covered to learn more.

Floodplain Maps

Floodplain Maps (Flood Insurance Rate Maps) are used to determine whether structures are located in the regulatory floodplain. These maps, along with the date the structure was built, elevation certificates, and other information, are used to establish insurance rates.

Elevation Certificates 

The Village has FEMA Elevation Certificates for some buildings constructed in the floodplain. If you need a new Elevation Certificate, you must hire a professional land surveyor or civil engineer.

Community Rating System Discount

The Village participates in FEMA’s Community Rating System (CRS)Program. This program gives credit for the Village’s floodplain management regulations and other efforts. Owners of property in the regulatory floodplain are eligible for a reduction on premiums; all other policies may receive a reduction as well. Please check your policy and make sure you are receiving the discount.

To calculate your risk of flooding, learn what a flood insurance policy may cost and find local agents who offer flood insurance, visit Floodsmart.gov.